Mars One has plans to settle mars by the year 2023. What makes this plan easier to accomplish then NASA or any other colonization attempts? The settlers are getting a one way ticket to mars, without the chance to come back to earth. The colony will initially survive with frequent resupply missions, new settlers as well as using the natural resources of Mars to expand and maintain the colony.
The idea of settling another planet like mars without the option of ever coming back seems like a crazy idea. When the explorers of the 1400’s began to settle the new world they faced and arguably similar situation. Granted the settlers of today will have a completely different set of problems to overcome.
The Mars One team plans on funding the project by broadcasting the entire journey to the citizens of earth. Real World Mars anyone? Lets just hope the sponsors are in it for the long run…
- 2016 – The initial supply mission will make its way to the surface, and a communications satellite will be placed in orbit.
- 2018 – A large planetary rover will be sent to Mars as a scout. The rover will find the best location for the Mars colony.
- 2020 – The settlement components will be delivered to Mars. This includes the living units, life support units, another rover and more supplies. While the colony waits for its first settlers the rovers will get everything in order.
- September 2022 – The setting crew departs earth.
- April 2023 – The first humans will land on Mars, and become the first human beings to colonize another planet.